10 Ways Federal Offenses Can Affect Your Life

Getting convicted of a crime has a lot of adverse effects. First, the state could hold you in custody for some time. You will be required to settle the fines and court costs. Moreover, a criminal record will haunt you for the rest of your life.

When it comes to federal offenses, the consequences of a conviction can be exceptionally severe and challenging to overcome. Your criminal record will follow you around like a shadow. Only conviction and arrest records from within the state will be available to police in some states. Police in Ohio may be unaware of a prior offense in Alaska. On the other hand, a federal criminal record can follow you everywhere you go and may even limit your possibilities when you travel abroad in some situations.

If you have been convicted of a federal offense, you must seek legal advice as soon as possible. Attorney David E. Stanley has years of experience and the necessary knowledge to explain the ramifications of federal offenses to you. Contact him today for a no-obligation consultation!

10 Various Outcomes of a Criminal Record

It’s critical to do everything you can to lessen your risk of being prosecuted for a crime, not just to safeguard your freedom now but also to limit how a criminal record can come back to haunt you.

Yes, even a single criminal charge has the power to do so. So what are some implications of a federal criminal conviction after you’ve paid your obligation to society?

1. Job Opportunities

Even if you are acquitted, a criminal charge on your record can make it difficult to find a good job and limit your earning potential. In addition, in most situations, prospective employers have the legal right to do a background check on you and may refuse to hire you based on the results.

Employers may ask you directly if you’ve ever been charged with or convicted of a crime, including misdemeanors and felonies. It would be best to answer honestly, but you are not required to reveal arrests that resulted in no conviction or offenses later expunged from your record.

2. Custody of a Child

A criminal record may limit your child custody rights, especially if the accusation includes domestic abuse or other violent activities. Even a misdemeanor might result in losing custody of your children, mainly if the crime involves family members.

3. Children Adoption

If you were convicted of a misdemeanor with a family member, you wouldn’t be able to adopt a child. You will also be unable to adopt if you have committed an alcohol-related crime.

4. Driving Privileges and Other Benefits

Depending on the gravity of the offense, anyone with a criminal record may lose their ability to drive. A criminal history involving alcohol or other drugs can result in a 180-day suspension of your driver’s license and require you to complete a 15-hour drug education course before regaining your driving privileges.

5. Weapons

You may lose your right to carry a handgun if you are convicted of a crime. This is likely if you have a felony or a Class A misdemeanor on your record. You will not be allowed a license to carry a firearm in such circumstances.

6. Immigration

A criminal record may prevent you from obtaining a green card, changing your immigrant status, or becoming a naturalized U.S citizen if you are a foreign national. In addition, you could lose your job and be deported even if the offense is minor.

7. Consequences of the Offense

Suppose you are charged with a new offense and already have a criminal record. In that case, your previous criminal history may result in more severe penalties if you are convicted and sentenced for the current crime.

8. Admission to a College

A criminal record with a minor offense might make it challenging to get into college or graduate school. This is determined by the policies of each institution or university. In addition, having a sexual or drug-related crime on your record can make it difficult to receive financial aid for college.

9. Medical Licenses

Even if you have a misdemeanor conviction, you may be unable to obtain a healthcare license, such as a nurse’s license, if you have a criminal record.

10. Renting and Leasing

If you have a criminal on your record that occurred within a specified number of years, a landlord may refuse to rent his property to you. The elapsed period won’t matter if you’ve been convicted of a sex offense. The landlord can deny you.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Will I Ever Get a Job with a Criminal Record?

Yes, it is possible to get a job with a criminal record. Many employers hire people with criminal records. It depends on why you have a criminal record and what kind of job you seek if it makes a difference. However, getting a job unrelated to your previous conviction would be better.

Does a Criminal Record Affect Car Insurance?

Yes, having a criminal record can affect car insurance. A criminal record will raise the cost of your vehicle insurance, whether or not your conviction is related to driving. This is because insurers will think you are at a higher risk if you have a criminal record. This is because your insurance considers all convictions, including robbery and driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

How Is A Person’s Life Changed When Charged with a Crime?

A person charged with a crime may be psychologically affected. While the short-term consequences of crime might be devastating, most people do not experience long-term effects. However, people occasionally suffer long-term issues like depression or anxiety-related disorders. In addition, a small percentage of people experience a severe, long-lasting reaction to a crime, known as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Criminal Defense Attorney Available

Having a reliable criminal defense attorney on your side is critical if you want to keep the charge off your record. Contact David E. Stanley, APLC, today if you live in Baton Rouge, LA. Mr. Stanley is an accomplished defense lawyer ready to assist you with your legal issues. For a free consultation, give us a call right now.

Looking for a Criminal Defense Attorney?
Call David E. Stanley
at 225-926-0200

David E. Stanley, APLC
1055 Laurel Street Suite 2
Baton Rouge, LA 70802

Tags: No tags

Comments are closed.